Sustainable Development Policy
The Swire group's Sustainable Development Policy commits the group to working on the environmental, health and safety, employment, supply chain and community issues that our operations affect, and to working with other parties to promote sustainable development in the industries in which we operate.
Given the diversity of the group's business portfolio, implementation of the policy is handled on a company-by-company basis and is overseen by the Directors appointed to the company by Swire; this is a core responsibility of each company's management team.
Swire Group Sustainable Development Policy
Our aims :
- We aim to create long term value for our shareholders. Achieving this depends on the sustainable development* of our businesses and the communities in which we operate.
- To achieve sustainable development, we aim:
- To achieve net zero impact on the environment
- To cause zero harm
- To excel as corporate citizens
Our policy :
- Industry leadership : We aim to be leaders in sustainable development in the industries in which we operate.
- In our operations : We will:
- Be a good steward of the natural resources and biodiversity under our influence and ensure that all potential adverse impacts of our operations on the environment are identified and appropriately managed.
- Do our best to safeguard the health and safety of all our stakeholders.
- Provide an environment in which all employees are treated fairly and with respect and can realise their full potential.
- Encourage suppliers and contractors to promote sustainable development.
- Encourage the responsible use of our products and services by our customers and consumers.
- Bring value to the communities of which we are a part and enhance their capabilities while respecting people's culture and heritage.
Making it happen :
- All companies in which Swire Pacific has a controlling interest will have action plans for applying this policy in a way which is relevant to their business. We will encourage other companies in which we have an interest as a shareholder or through our supply chain to implement similar policies.
- We will encourage and empower our staff to be proactive on sustainable development matters both at work and in the community.
- We will monitor our performance and report regularly.
- We will review this policy periodically, having regards in particular to stakeholder dialogues.
- * Sustainable Development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. – "Our Common Future", 1987 – World Commission on Environment and Development.