Taikoo Free School was founded in 1923 to provide free education for the children of workers employed by the Taikoo Dockyard and Taikoo Sugar Refinery at Quarry Bay in Hong Kong. Funded by Swire and administered by Taikoo Dockyard’s management, the school’s first home was in an office building within the dockyard. After World War II, the school was transferred to larger premises and from 1947, the government provided an annual subsidy towards running costs and the school was opened up to children whose parents were not employed by Swire. The first purpose-built Taikoo Primary School, a joint venture between Swire and the Education Department, opened in October 1966 and from that date the school was government-run. The school moved to its current site on King’s Road in 2003; the campus was built by Swire Properties as part of a broader redevelopment of the district and senior Swire management continue to sit on the Taikoo Primary School board.