Sustainable Development Policy
The Swire Group commits to working on the environmental, health and safety, employment, supply chain and community issues that our operations affect, and to working with other parties to promote sustainable development in the industries in which we operate.
Given the diversity of the group's business portfolio, implementation of the policy is handled on a company-by-company basis and is overseen by the Directors appointed to the company by Swire; this is a core responsibility of each company's management team.
Swire Pacific Sustainable Development Policy
Sustainable Development is defined as "development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs"1. Swire Pacific’s aim is to create long term value for its shareholders. Achieving this depends on the sustainable development of its businesses and the communities in which it operates.
The executive management of each company in which Swire Pacific has a controlling interest should apply this policy in a way which is relevant to their business. Associated and joint venture companies are encouraged to follow this policy, as are our suppliers.
- Industry leadership: To be leaders in sustainable development in the industries in which it operates.
- In its operations, aim to:
- Reduce its carbon footprint by adopting industry best practices to improve energy efficiency, and by increasing the use of renewable energy.
- Turn today’s waste into a resource for tomorrow, contributing to the creation of a circular economy, where waste materials are no longer simply thrown away, but are retained and re-used as a future resource.
- Use water responsibly and sustainably and to protect its watersheds.
- Be a good steward of the natural resources and biodiversity under its influence and to identify and manage appropriately the potential adverse impact of its operations on the environment.
- Safeguard the health and safety of its employees and others with whom it interacts, with the ultimate aim of causing zero harm.
- Source materials responsibly and sustainably, including ensuring that its suppliers meet, and preferably exceed, the sustainability standards in its supplier guiding principles.
- Bring value to the communities in which it operates and respect their culture and heritage.
- Encourage its staff to engage actively in sustainable development matters at work and in the community.
- Monitor the company's performance and report regularly.
- John Swire & Sons Diversity and Inclusion Policy
- John Swire & Sons Flexible Working Policy
- Swire Pacific Biodiversity Policy
- Swire Pacific Climate Change Policy
- Swire Pacific Health and Safety Policy
- Swire Pacific Human Rights Policy
- Swire Pacific Supplier Corporate Social Responsibility Code of Conduct
- Swire Pacific Sustainable Building Design Policy
- Swire Pacific Sustainable Food Policy
- Swire Pacific Sustainable Procurement Policy
- 1 World Commission on Environment and Development (1987) "Our common Future", Brundtland et al